The Ladies’ Auxiliary of Branch 58 is actually older than the branch itself. It began with the Legion’s predecessor, the Great War Veterans Association in 1917 and served by visiting wounded soldiers and sailors who were recovering at the Victoria Convalescent Home. They met at various halls and at Fairfield school. In 1926 the Great War Veterans Association was one of the founding organizations for the new Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League and the East Hamilton Ladies Auxiliary became the Branch 58 Canadian Legion Ladies Auxiliary.
During World War II, the ladies visited wounded and sick soldiers in Hamilton hospitals and at the Sunnybrook and Christie Street Military hospitals in Toronto. They treated the soldiers to cigarettes and candy. They set up booths at the CNR station and at the Army Trade School to provide coffee, cakes, candy and cigarettes to servicemen who were arriving home or passing through. At Christmas food packages were sent to sons of members who were serving overseas.
The Ladies Auxiliary have provided lunch after the parades and cater Legion banquets. They also cater weddings, banquets and other functions for outside groups renting the halls. These hard working ladies contribute much to the Legion both financially and with volunteer work. Their support is essential to the branch.